~ International Award-Winning Photography ~

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Helping the Homeless on Photo Night

On a cold, winter day, Bobby walks through the doors of the soup kitchen at The Knight's Table. He slowly approaches the hot table as he starts to take his gloves off. There, he is served with a delicious home-made meal. He sits down, all by himself, and enjoys his meal. His smile is warm. I ask him...."Bobby...come over here, I'd love to take your photo". "Me? Really? Are you sure?" he answers. "Okay". His face radiated in front of the camera. He felt special...and rightfully so...for he is very special. Shortly after the shoot, all I could hear for a long time was "Thank-you....thank-you so much.....thank-you")

I really enjoyed photographing all of the wonderful people that night, along with their families. Each one received a few 5x7's for Christmas. Many were either homeless, or struggling barely able to make ends meet. Not being able to afford a photographer to capture photos of their children, they did not hesitate in showing their greatfulness.

This mom and daughter pair were so cute. When in front of the camera, mommy could not stop laughing, which was so contagious that it got passed on to her daughter! They were giggling like little school girls and could not stop! It was so cute....I just had to laugh myself!These twins, David & Kevin, were so adorable. They kept on asking me on-going questions about my camera equipment.Here's our young single mom Tia and her family.......with her newest arrival, Violet, who is only 2 weeks old!









Me and Glendon photographed about 25 individuals and families that night. It was an awesome night! And we were blessed. Thank-you to the staff and volunteers at Night's Table for working so hard in order to keep this kitchen open, and especially to Castro and his team for preparing all the delicious hot meals daily. (Oh...and thanks Paula for helping me put the prints into frames :o)


8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW !!!!!!!

December 21, 2008  
Blogger John Edgar said...

You are a truly good person.

A wonderful story, and amazing images. :)

December 21, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love what you have done here, and it makes them feel like they mean something/important, which is what everyone needs. I think this was a more pro active approach to helping others than just cans for comments, and if you are planning to do this again next year give me a call as I would love to help out. I sometimes miss helping in the soup kitchen, perhaps I should go help again soon.

thanks for this post.

December 21, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for caring... and for sharing.

December 21, 2008  
Blogger MPH Photography said...

You are a blessing to the community, and what a selfless thing to do, so giving, you are a wonderful person Silvana. Beautiful images, very touching and inspirational. I would love to come out and help, and if you ever need me, just give me a call.

Have a wonderful and blessed Christmas and all the best in the new year.

December 23, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I think we met briefly several years ago at a service at The Meeting house...and i know you have talked a bit with my husband tom cahill(we are friends with David Beneteau). I was so touched by your photographs of the homeless.....what a wonderful gift to them.It probabaly is the sweetest thing I have heard of anyone doing in a long time. May you have a very, very blessed Christmas.-savanna cahill

December 24, 2008  
Blogger Shipra Panosian said...

wonderful series of photographs. What a blessing it must have been for those families. I especially love the little group of shots of the mother and daughter (with head coverings) laughing and enjoying each other.

December 29, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's awesome, Silvana. Their expressions are so open--their faces are almost shining. It takes a heck of a lot of trust for people who've had rough times to open up in such a positive way.

Inspirational!

January 01, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home